Women Awareness Center Nepal
Earthquake Relief Update
On April 25, 2015 a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck Nepal. The earthquake had a devastating impact. On may 12th, 2015 a 7.3 magnitude earthquake struck again while the country was still dealing with the tremors from the initial earthquake adding to the fatalities and casualties.
- Developing the funding base to allow WACN to expand its programs and provide appropriate institutional support for this expansion to meet the women’s demands from the new areas
- Competing with other development banks’ programs that are not women-friendly
- Increasing capabilities of the organization through training and development of office staff in order to support the growing number of WACN programs and cooperative members.
- Coordinating with village authorities who perceive strong women’s groups as a threat (this issue must be addressed sensitively).
- Competing with other programs that do not have the same goal of sustainability as WACN
- Dealing with the lack of communication between different governmental organizations (GOs), between GOs and INGOs, and between GOs, INGOs, and NGOs.
- Expanding training programs to meet the needs of the women’s groups interested in becoming co-operatives
- Continuing training for co-operatives interested in upgrading their operations
- Increasing awareness of VDC and DDC functions so that women learn of the different funding available to them, and how to access it. This knowledge will also help them become more effective in their advocacy.
- Setting behavior indicators to measure improvements in gender sensitivity
- Increasing the knowledge of leaders in cooperative and sustainable agriculture programs to achieve a greater depth of talent among practitioners
- Assisting cooperative members and farmers in better managing and marketing their enterprises
- Increasing entrepreneurship
- Creating workshops that teach members about all the resources available to them at the local, district, and national level, and how to use them to their advantage.